Hope everyone had a good weekend? Mine was rather eventful and started off with me attending a Nollywood Movie Premiere! Yes oh, I thought I was the princess of Nollywood (i.e. one who knows all about Nolly) until Bella put up a post on the Nigerian Movie Premiere of The Widow held somewhere in Ikeja, Lagos. I was like whaaaaat, I've lost my touch! How come I didn't know about that? I mean I know about the movie, I have been waiting for it to come out for like a year now (trust Nollywood) but when did Naija start having premieres? As innn and in the pics Bella had up, it looked like a REAL premiere oh, with the red carpets and barriers and everyone dressed elegantly. Naija is picking up oh, forget!
Anyway so I heard about a Nollywood Movie Premiere of a film - The Successor with Olu Jacobs and others advertised on BenTV held at Odeon, Swiss Cottage?? I thought it was a joke oh but I thought we would still try and see what happens. The ticket prices were rather steep £30 but hey it was a premier. In the ad, it also had details of a champagne reception, meeting with the actors and actresses et. al. So on Friday, after work, I went to get my hair done, went home (I had ample time as it was to start at 11pm) and then headed for Odeon @ Swiss Cottage. Lo and behold, there were a couple of Nigerians milling outside. We went inside and there were a few stars I recognised in their evening dresses, no red carpets but there were goodie bags and champagne and wine etc. I was like shuuu this is real oh!
The turn out wasn't so good (I'm guessing because majority of Nigerians live more in the South than in North London and also because of the ticket price). Anyway, the movie was fabulous and I'm not just saying that 'cos I am into Nollywood but the productiin was different and it made a lot of sense from start to finish, nothing like part 2 or anything like that. I also had the privilege of seeing Stephanie Okereke and Dakore Egbuson in real life (lol), I could have met them afterwards oh but I really didn't want to hang about after the movie at 2am but I spoke to the main actor guy and commended his performance. Hehehe, it was well worth it plus I got a goodie bag, free wine, popcorn and a signed autograph.
They are holding the movie premiere in other parts of London so I recommend it to everyone, it's showing at:
- Odeon Streatham (29th Sept.)
- Odeon Surrey Quays (30th Sept.)
Click on the flyer/pic above to see details.
For those interested, info on the eligible Nollywood bachelors/spinsters:
- Muyiwa Ademola - an actor and popular young producer of Yoruba films. His film entitled Ori has won him several awards including the African Movie Academ Award Best Inidgenous Movie (2005). He had been rumoured to be dating Shola Kosoko (daughter of Jide Kosoko) who he was said to later dump for another lady. Sources say he has recently married (in June) a young lady who he met in 2003 on a movie location. I will need to confirm this gist.
- Benita Nzeribe - told Nollywood last year that she was taking a break in her life after being treated unfairly by a man she loved dearly. Following that report, she had received several advances from men included those routed through Nollywood Magazine. She is also a Mercedes Benz freak just in case any man cares?
- Pat Attah - one of the most handsome Nollywood actors (he's put on a bit of weight though). He looks like an introvert but has been often described as a woman-beater. However, handsome Attah described the rumour as ridiculous and denied ever dating the likes of Empress Njamah, who openedly declared that they were lovers and she was battered by him and perhaps, too, Lillian Bach. If anythhing, he agreed to have truly dated Genevieve Nnaji. Whether she was also a victim, we do not know.
- Bimbo Akintola - this beautiful actress once told Nollywood that she did not have a man in her life and that she was proud of it. Bimbo, became popular for her seductive role in RMD's Out of Bounds. The sociable actress from Ibadan in Oyo State does not seem to believe in the African sentiment concerning marriage. She also said when asked whether her taste affected her not finding a man yet "my taste is not high, it's just that I haven't found Mr. Right. I like very plain, easy and nice men with integrity and intellectuals. I don't think I'm asking for too much because we have a lot of them in this country."
- Hanks Anuku - is the gangster character of Nollywood, but is meek, friendly and perhaps carefree. He is in his early forties and is a club freak, who cannot be related to any particular woman. He is apparently a sober, praying Christian in contrast to his stereotyped personality on-screen. He claims he is not a flirt but sources say he would require a woman urgently to check his drinking excesses.
- Chioma Chukwuka - came into the movie industry through Theodore Anyaji's The Apple directed by Lancelot Imasuen. Ever since she entered Nollywood, there has hardly been any negative press about her. She is a quiet and God-fearing young lady and as at last year, was certainly looking to get married soon but carefully too. I have just been informed that she just got married so two down.
- Segun Arinze - aka Badagry born Black is single, if not necessarily searching for a bride. With three children from different mothers, the forty-year old actor and singer is said to be in a relationship with broadcaster, Stella Din. He has been linked to many women at one point or another. The mothers of his children are Efe, who bore him a son, Anne Njemanze, his former wife and mother of his first daughter, Morenike and thirdly, Sandra Bello, his former assistant.
- Jim Iyke - he is still single and once dated Steph Nora Okere and is also said to have dated Rita Dominic, which they have both denied. He may not be in a hurry to settle down and is not known to be in any serious relationship although he is now associated with many women both within and outside the country.
- Chidi Mokeme - the presenter of Nigeria's first Reality TV Show - The Gulder Ultimate Search Show is still single despite having fathered a seven-year old son. He has been rumoured to have dated the likes of Helen Ukpabio, Stella Damasus Aboderin, Stephanie Okereke and Eucharia Anunobi-Ekwu. This thirty-three year old hunk is another actor who is in no hurry to quit the bachelor's club and I reckon he is the second most handsome actor in Nollywood. RMD is the first :o)
Source - Nigerian Newspaper (June 2006)